Thursday, August 24, 2006

Detroit Marathon Training - Week 7 - Run #1

Had my first run of the week today. I had planned on Tuesday, but just wasn't feeling it then. On Wednesday, I ended up staying late at work and did not feel like staying any later. So today it was.

I did 6 miles today. Started at a flat 8:00/mi pace at a 1% incline on the treadmill at work. For mile 3, I increased to a 7:53/mi pace. At the 3.5 mile mark, I dropped the incline (I was sort of struggling at that point). For mile 4 & 5 I ran at a 7:47/mi pace. The last mile I kept increasing, as usual.

I ended up finishing the 6 miles in a time of 46:45, which averages out to a 7:47/mi pace. Not my best time, but decent I suppose. I was pretty wiped out afterwards, having sweated a lot and really booking by the end.

So my current state of running is not so great. I'm still 9 weeks away from the marathon, which seems like an eternity, and I feel like I'm just stuck in a rut. Worse yet, running lately feels more like an obligation than something I actually look forward to. When I first started my training, it was exciting to have a goal again. And I'm sure as I get closer to the marathon, like in October, I'll be excited again. But for now, stuck in the middle of my training program, it's just rough. I felt pretty similar during the last marathon training program, which is when I was questioning if it would be my last marathon. But after doing the actual event, it's hard not to get excited about doing another one.

So the next month or so, I just need to grind out these runs and get through them. I have a dual goal of running the marathon in 3:40, and reaching the 1,000 mile mark by year's end. Hopefully I can get both, though I'd be excited about just one (preferably the 3:40 marathon). :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home