Sunday, September 10, 2006

Detroit Marathon Training - Week 9 - Run #3 (Half-marathon race)

This morning was the River Run Half Marathon in Berea, OH. It's a pretty popular race here in northeast Ohio, and this is the first time that I did it. It's a pretty scenic run, through the Metroparks from Berea to Rocky River.

Things started off pretty well, though the starting area was very crowded. They used chips for timing, and did not have enough of the chip mats to cover the width of the road, so people had to cram together at the starting line to make it over the map. Things were pretty crowded the first mile or so, and I had to make some tough passes to get around people, but I'm starting to get used to that.

The first mile went by in 7:30, and I sped up a bit as my time after mile 3 was 22:02 (7:20/mi pace), but things started going downhill for me during mile 4. I can't remember very many other splits, but the tough miles for me were 4 and 7...and most everything after that. I won't lie, it was a hard race for me. I don't know why, but it just didn't seem to go well. It could be that I have not done a long run in over 2 weeks. Or that I put on a couple pounds in the past week. But whatever it was, I did not feel in race form.

Despite my troubles, I did manage to make it to the end without stopping even though I really questioned whether or not I would. Also, I did somehow manage to make a PR time, improving my previous best by just under 3 minutes. However, today's race was a bit of a wakeup call that I really need to get back into my training if I want next month's marathon to go well. Today looked good on paper, but I ran it and can tell you that it was not a good run. So there is a lot of work left to do in these next 7 weeks.

Time: 1:40:45
Pace: 7:43/mi
Overall: 149 of 838
Division (Male 25-29): 16 of 35

And here are my updated year-to-date totals:

Weekly Total:
26.1 miles
Yearly Total: 600.3 miles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home