Sunday, October 01, 2006

Detroit Marathon Training - Week 12 - Run #2

Unfortunately, I only managed to get in two runs this week. However, today was the "big one". The 20-miler. The mother of all "long runs" when training for a marathon (at least in most training programs). So I suppose that's as good of an excuse as any to miss an extra run during the week.

I almost put off the run this morning when I awoke to see the pavement mostly wet in our apartment parking lot. It had rained pretty heavily the night before, and I was worried that the towpath trail was going to be very messy. But, I eventually got out of bed and out of the house a little after 9am, into a mostly sunny but chilly mid-50s October day.

Things started off pretty good, right around an 8:25/mi pace. The only scary moment was right before I hit my turnaround point at 10 miles, I had a sharp pain in my left knee that made me pull up for a few gimpy steps, but it was only momentary, and I was back to normal in no time. I hit the turnaround point at 1:26:30, for an average pace of 8:39 per mile. Not too shabby.

The second half was slower of course, as has become my norm. I was pretty dead most of the last 3 miles, but not quite as bad as the previous week's 18 miler. I tried to make it in under 3 hours, but those last few miles killed me. I ended up finishing around 3:03:15 (I failed to properly stop my watch at the finish, so the seconds is more of an estimate). Unfortunately, this is about 2 minutes slower than my last 20 miler I did back in April.

So 20 miles in 3:03:15, which averages out to a pace of 9:10 per mile, which is just over the 4 hour marathon pace. Not too happy with that.

Weekly Total: 28 miles
Yearly Total: 689.5 miles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home