Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Detroit Marathon Training - Week 11 - Run #1

I surprisingly felt very good yesterday following Sunday's 16 mile run, but I decided to take the planned day of rest anyways. So today was the first run of the week for me. I just finished it up downstairs on the treadmill here at work.

For today's run, I decided to mix in a bit of speedwork, along with the idea of trying to stick closer to a "realistic" marathon pace. So for the first 3 miles, I did 800m speedwork intervals with the first half of each mile at 8:27 pace, and the second half at 6:58 pace. After that, I settled out around an 8:13 pace, with increases during each of the last miles, and gradual increases during the last mile.

In total, I ran 6.2 miles (10 km) today in 48:13, for an average pace of 7:46.6 minutes per mile. Not too bad. It felt good to push myself, but not to the extreme like I have been doing. I think in the long run it's better for me to focus on more realistic paces as long as I keep training for the longer distance races.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home