Sunday, September 17, 2006

Detroit Marathon Training - Week 10 - Run #3

Today was my first normal "long run" in a while, following last weekend's half-marathon race and a few weeks off before though. So I was worried that I might be a bit rusty. Fortunately, things seem to go my way today.

I made it out to the park around 8am today, and it was a bit chilly as temperatures were only in the mid 50s. But after a couple minutes of running, there is no coldness at all. For once, I started off at a slower pace instead of sprinting out the gates like I typically do. I didn't want to start fast and then fade like I typically do. So I did my first mile in 8:30 and tried to keep that pace for most of the run.

At my turnaround point, 8 miles in, my time was about 1:09, which is an 8:37 pace. However, I think that mile 6 is at least .1 miles longer than marked, and I did that "mile" about a minute slower, so I'm going to start trimming a minute off my team each time I run that mile. So a 1:08 time is exactly an 8:30 pace.

I hoped to match or possibly even beat that time on the way back, but it was not meant to be today. During miles 13 & 14 or so, I was starting to fade a bit. I was able to pick things up the last few miles, but it wasn't enough. I ended up finishing the 8 mile route back two minutes slower. So my adjusted final time was 2:18:06 which is an average pace of about 8:38 per mile.

So I was happy with today's performance. I wasn't exhausted those last couple of miles, so I think paying attention to my pace from the beginning is a good idea. Next week I am aiming to do an 18 miler.


Weekly Total:
29 miles
Yearly Total: 629.3 miles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home