Sunday, March 19, 2006

Week 9 - Long run

This week's long run was a challenge, both physically and mentally. The weather conditions were so-so, with temps in the upper 30s with some sun and a wind that provided quite a chill at times. Averages are around mid 40s this time of year, but spring seems to be getting off to a slow start.

Anyways, the plan called for 18 miles, but I was just hoping to get beyond 13. Early on, things were not looking good as me knee starting hurting around mile 5. But I struggled through it and kept on going. I made it all the way out to 8 miles before I decided to turn around and head back. Being 8 miles from where you started can be quite the incentive to run all the way back, especially when it was that cold.

So I kept going, and slowed with each passing mile. I could feel the blisters developing on both feet, which was a big factor in my slowness. There really wasn't a point in walking, because that would have been just as hard on my feet. I made it back to right before where I parked, and called it a day. 15 miles in 2:19:06, a 9:16/mi pace. Not bad considering a 9:09 is the 4 hour marathon pace (my target this time around), but far off the pace from last weekend's 15K. I guess I should just be happy to be able to knock out that many miles after all the troubles I've been having lately.

Weekly Total: 24.3 miles
Yearly Total: 174.1 miles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home