Saturday, December 16, 2006

An 8 mile towpath run

Today was the start of a new era in my running. I finally dusted off the old heart rate monitor that I bought shortly after I began running a year and a half ago (which I quickly discarded because I didn't like it telling me I was training too hard). And with that, I hope to have begun the "heart-rate training" era of my running.

First, I calculated my maximum heart rate to be around 190 bpm. I then picked up a Runner's World guide that told me my "target rate" for long runs should be between 65 - 75% of my max, which equals out to about 125 - 145. Given my utter disdain for running at anything less than hard, I stuck to the high end of that range, and tried to keep my rate right around 145. And surprisingly, I was very successful. Yes, I wasn't running at a pace that I felt comfortable with as I felt like I was really holding back. But I realize that the key to further improving my running abilities is to follow a plan. And I think listening to my heart rate is as good as any.

So, I hit up the towpath, enjoying the beautiful (and extremely rare) weather and hit up the towpath for the first time in a while, heading south for 4 miles before turning back. The temperatures were in the upper 40s, and between that and my reduced pace, I barely broke a sweat during the course of my 8.5 mile run. It's nice not to be dripping wet after a run.

Weekly Total: 19.7 miles
Yearly Total: 910.8 miles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home