Monday, January 23, 2006

Week 2 - Speed run

Today's plan called for 4 repeats of 1200m (3/4 mile). Quite a bit longer than last Monday's 400m (1/4 mile) repeats, though they were to be run at about a 20 second slower pace. So after a slow warm-up mile at around 9:30/mi, I ramped up to a 7:08/mi pace and completed my first 1200m. I slowed back down to around 9:30/mi for a brief 400m break before repeating 2 more times. After the third 1200m, I took a 800m break instead before conquering the fourth and final one. After the fourth repeat, instead of taking a slower mile, I slowed to a walking pace and walked a 1/4 mile. Overall, I ran 5 miles in about 40:50 (8:10/mi pace).

Wow, what a workout. It seems like each speed workout is the toughest workout I've ever done. And looking at the schedule, they're not getting any easier. Next Monday calls for 6 repeats of 800m. My shins were burning today during the repeats, but I was able to finish, which made me very happy. Next up is a 5 mile tempo run on Wednesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home