Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Week 1 - Tempo run

Today was my first attempt at a "tempo run", a concept that is new to me. According to my plan, I was to run 3 miles at my 10K pace. So I did a warm-up mile at around 9:30, put in 3 miles at 7:47 (slightly faster than my 10K pace), and cooled down with a fifth mile at around 8:47. So in all, I did 5 miles in 42:14 (8:26 mile pace), which is pretty good. That is the fastest pace I've done on a treadmill for that length of a run, and it was at times a bit hard to keep up, but I made it through. The one good thing about being relegated to a treadmill for the winter is that it's really easy to regulate my pace. While I much prefer running outdoors, I would have real trouble figuring out my pace and distances on the run, since all of this new training techniques are new to me. Before I just used to simply run a specified distance at a decent pace. Now it's all complicated...but hopefully that complication proves beneficial come race day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home